Tuesday, May 6, 2008

New skates

Hmm seems like this is a week of new things.

In short: bought a pair of K2 Power 7.0 skates for myself, tested them, fell and bruised my hip and now I'm recovering.


In detail: I thought (see below) and I was quite right my old Roces skates weren't the best for covering a half marathon distance. So last Wednesday I've found this K2 skate and bought them.
I must say it is a quite new world, it is fast and rolls very smooth. It is a typical long-distance recreational skate, provides more ankle support than low-cut racers' skates but makes covering long distances quite easy.
I got rid of the brakes immediately and then took it for a 10-mile ride on Thursday, with Peter and some more adults on skates and some kids on bikes. It felt great and rolled nice, however approaching the car-park, about 200m to go I crashed and 'succesfully obtained' a palm-sized bruise on my left hip. Or thigh. Ok, let's confess, on my left butt :)

At home, Anikó provided 'medical support' - oh well, it was cca 18 years ago last time I had bruises this size, so it almost felt nostalgic :) However, I've covered an hour on the oval on Friday, and some 12 miles on the road again on Sunday, just to get used to the skates - the half-marathon is getting closer and closer and I definitely need to train some more. Got to polish my technique some more while strength and endurance seems to be quite OK.

So here I am, a happy child with new toys :D

No comments: