Friday, October 17, 2008

2008 inline season review

All the race events of 2008 are over, it's time to make a quick summary.

I've started the season at absolute 0 level. My goal was to learn to skate and gain some racing experience. So we can call this year a development year, starting from scratch.
I've attended:
  • 4 track races
  • 1 half-marathon
  • 1 super-marathon relay
Initially I wanted to go to Kosice as season closing but due to other factors I did not manage to get there this year.

It started with the half-marathon of Wink Marathon in Siófok. Lacking actually everything I'd have needed even the fact I've finished can be seen as a good result. I missed my target time of 1:25 by 4 minutes, but that did not put me back at all. Instead it made me realize what I should do - train! Train systematically, work on drills and gain endurance. Sound like a lot of work and no fun, but - it seemed like fun :)

The track races were quite a bit of challenge, lacking crucial skills like proper crossovers or nice lateral push. However I never wanted to skip them, I thought of these as laying down some base to measure development later. And in fact there has been some development, I was able to takeover Feri once! He trains regularly with the club, along with the kids, so obviously he should be ahead of me - but still a good target ahead...
Well in fact I finished last every track race except one (due to a fall ahead), but the latter 2 races I finished less metres behind the others. And that is an advance.

The super-marathon relay came as a surprise event just the moment I was feeling down not being able to go to Kosice. So I did not think about it but entered. In fact it was about a half-marathon distance and I was quite pleased how it went.

All in all I am happy with the progress I made this year.
Next year I want to cover more mid-distance races and work on my technique to get competitive on track events, too.

No comments: